Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Guest Author Series: Cyndi Harris

Today, I'm pleased to have new author Cyndi Harris on Paranormal Romance and Beyond. Cyndi is the author of  the newly released Heart of a Stripper. Tantalizing, right? The cover alone gives me chills. So, give a big PRaB welcome to Cyndi.

The Interview:


Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself.
Cyndi: I’m a Jersey Girl!

What made you want to be an author?
Cyndi: My love I had for reading at an early age started it. I would always figure out the books before getting to the end, or come up with even better things that should’ve happened in the book, but didn’t. That prompted me to try my own formulas on paper.

What do you like best about being a writer? What do you like the least?
Cyndi: I love coming up with my own characters and sharing them with others. I love the reactions I receive, even if they aren’t things I want to hear haha. What I like least is killing a loveable character or getting hung up on naming them lol.

Are you a plotter or a pantser, i.e., do you outline your books ahead of time or are you an “organic” writer?
Cyndi: I definitely don’t plan! When planning I get stuck more for some reason, so I let the story lead me. I never stay on the same path from beginning to end. The story just flows out on its own as if it has its own mind.

What influences your writing? And why?
Cyndi: When I pick up a great book, and see it's the same thing I have ideas for, it drives me to work harder at my craft. I want to have others pick up my work and love it.nswer: When I pick up a great book, and see it's the same thing I have ideas for, it drives me to work harder at my craft. I want to have others pick up my work and love it.

Name one thing readers don’t know about you.
Cyndi: I love to be scared.

Are love scenes easy/difficult for you to write?
Cyndi: Very easy! I can’t wait to do them because I love to tease during my books. So, when it does happen it’s well deserved.

Do you have another career besides writing? What is it?
Cyndi: Full time chef, maid, personal assistant, and nurse! In other words, I’m a mom lol

What hobbies do you enjoy when not writing?
Cyndi: I love to curl up to a good scary movie.

If you could be any supernatural creature, what would it be and why?
Cyndi: I’d have to go for a vampire. Not the new age vamps either. I mean early adaptations of vampires. I’ve loved them since I was young. They get to sleep in, stay up all night, have mind control, and can manipulate their form to be another person or being. Besides that, they love hard. So why not?!

If you had one take away piece of advice for authors, what would it be?
Cyndi: NEVER give up! No matter how many doors shut in your face, push forward. All the greats had to fight for their spot and you should too!

Do you have any future project that we can look for?
Cyndi: Yes, definitely! I have my next book in editing phase as we speak. This one will be the first in a series; it's going to be Paranormal Romance fiction. So stay tuned!! I'll be glad to reveal the cover here if you’ll have me.

Tell us more about Heart of a Stripper.
Cyndi: I came up with the story idea a few years ago, I want to say in 2008. It was just an idea, but nothing I ever wrote down, but needless to say it stuck with me. It came from me crushing on a celebrity who is 13 yrs my senior lol. (He sure doesn't look it lol) Anyway, that's where the age gap ties in, but I didn't want my guy to be too much older than her. So, doing research, I saw the youngest principal was 26. I thought going for 25 would be better to cut down the age gap more.

As far as the teacher student idea, that was just an element that presented itself. I thought hey, it would be cool if instead of just a somewhat older guy, let’s throw them in a different element. But as I said, I never wrote it down. It just floated in my head for a few years, until now. I felt like it needed to be shown the light of day.


“The love that lasts the longest is the love that can never be.”
For twenty-two year old Mitchell McCallister, that statement never seemed true. Finding the woman he loved happened in a snap, or so he thought. That was, until he found a connection with someone else, in a place he least expected. One kiss was all it took to keep him breathless and wanting more, but falling for a stripper he would never see again seemed foolish.
Being abandoned by her mother and living with her alcoholic father, Nevaeh Sky never really knew what it meant to feel wanted. Moving to a new town still wouldn’t change that, right? Waltzing into the office as a senior transfer to her new high school, Nevaeh is bemused to find the very mysterious stranger who was too shy to make a move on her at her new job. Having Mitchell as her new principal, she’s sure it will cause more harm than good.
With an impending marriage, Mitchell struggles to keep his distance from Nevaeh, until he finds her beaten and bloody on the school steps. Taking her in and learning her secrets, the explosive forbidden attraction between them leaves Mitchell wavering; not only with her, but in his own life. Determined to save her from the life she’s chosen, Mitchell has no idea his world will never be the same again.
But will saving Nevaeh be worth destroying everything he’s worked so hard for?




A tasty excerpt from Heart of a Stripper


Nevaeh walked into the apartment she shared with her dad, and saw him staring at the TV. They locked eyes briefly as she stood by the door, before closing it. She was surprised to find him awake that time of day, in the afternoon. Sucking in a breath, she started to walk past him to her room. He was wearing a white tank top and blue shorts with white socks. His hair was rough and he had a beard to match. Of course, there was a can of beer in his hand, and she was sure he was drunk.
“Where the hell you been?” he grumbled, in a husky voice.
“School.” She said, sarcastically as she slipped between him and the TV.
“You’re in my way!” he shouted throwing the beer can at her.
She dodged it, and it hit the flat screen TV that she brought a few days ago. On impact, the beer splattered all over the screen. That enraged him and he shot to his feet.
“Look what you did, bitch!!” he shouted.
“Sorry, I didn’t let it hit me.” She said cynically, yet hurt by his words.
“Clean that shit up now! And after that, cook me dinner.” He ordered staring over at her.
“I’m not your wife dad.” She Cyndied.
“What did you say to me?” he asked, narrowing his eyes at her.
Swallowing hard, she shook her head.
“Nothing, dad.” She sighed walking towards her room.
“Get back here and clean my damn TV!” he shouted.
“I have homework!” she shouted back, as she sat her book bag on her bed.
Her room was tiny, but she was working on making it look cozy. So far, she had a twin sized bed and had decorated her walls somewhat. Closing her room door, she pulled out her text and notebooks before sitting down. Not too soon after, he door swung open and her dad was standing there, more than irate.
“Don’t sit there and act like you’re smart.” He barked. “You’re not good for anything but lying on your back.”
Nevaeh looked up to him as she gripped the pen she had in her hand. She fought back tears as he kept tearing into her, chipping away more and more of her soul.
“You’re a whore just like your mother. Don’t think I don’t know that you sneak out of the house. You’re never going to amount to anything but a slut.” He bit.
“You don’t know anything about me.” She whispered.
“I know plenty.” He insisted. “You think making a little money from selling your body is going to help you? You’ll never amount to anything just like your mother.” He growled.

Where can readers find more about your stories, books and you on the Internet?
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AngryPrincess23
Blog: http://romanceauthorcyndiharris.blogspot.com/

Now for my fast five:
Angels or Demons? Demons
Vampires or werewolves? Vampires
Coffee or Chocolate? Definitely Chocolate
Early Morning or Late Night? Late Night
E-book or Paperback?  E-Book

Buy Cyndi’s Books at:

Dare I say this experience has been educational to say the least. Good luck with the new release, Cyndi, and thanks for appearing on PRaB. Come back to visit us again!

No comments:

Post a Comment