Thursday, February 14, 2013

Guest Author Series: Krystal Shannan

Today Paranormal Romance and Beyond is thrilled to welcome Krystal Shannan to our little block in the universe. She's here to talk about her newest release, Chasing Sam, which is book 1 of her Vegas Mates series. Krystal has also been gracious enough to offer a copy of OPEN HOUSE:Pool of Souls Book 1 to all commenters who leave their email address today. That's pretty  darn cool.  




The Interview...


Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself.
I’m from Texas and plan to stay, lol. I often joke with my husband that he would have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me to move anywhere else. Not that I don’t like other places or states, I just am a creature of habit…and I don’t like the cold. Something interesting about me that most people don’t know…I was homeschooled. LOL, I know what you are thinking. Don’t. I’m perfectly normal. Well, I do write erotic romance and talk to characters in my head, but that’s perfectly normal for all authors, right?

What made you want to be an author?
I don’t think there was any one thing…I just always wrote. Even in grade school, I wrote story after story after story. In high school I started writing YA romance as a hobby. In college I started along the more adult romance path. I prefer adult romance to YA. I need a little horizontal mambo to make the plot more interesting! You know sex makes everything more complicated.

What do you like best about being a writer? What do you like the least?
I like creating! Bringing the story to life! On the flip side, I wish it didn’t take quite as much time. There never seem to be enough hours in the day to get writing, promo, networking, emails, etc. done.

Are you a plotter or a pantser, i.e., do you outline your books ahead of time or are you an “organic” writer?
I’m all in! I plot, then pants, sometimes my characters run away, then I have to plot more to accommodate them, then I go in and add anything I might have missed.

What influences your writing? And why?
Hmmm. Movies. Books. But, lately pictures have been huge inspiration. A book cover I saw a few months ago inspired a four-book series that I’m plotting right now. Guess that old saying ‘A Picture is worth a thousand words is really true’. Though, in my case it’s going to be ‘A picture is worth about 300,000 words!’ Songs are often very inspirational for me too.

Name one thing readers don’t know about you.
I’m six feet tall.

Are love scenes easy/difficult for you to write?
Depends. I’ve written some that flowed like a river and some that I had to pull out one sentence at a time. I don’t blush at writing them, if that’s what you are asking. I’m all about enjoying a little ‘pink’.

Do you have another career besides writing? What is it?
I teach full time at a public elementary school.

What hobbies do you enjoy when not writing?
READING! And cooking.

If you could be any supernatural creature, what would it be and why?
I would be a dragon shifter. Cause then I could fly!

If you had one take away piece of advice for authors, what would it be?
Take criticism graciously and learn from it. I don’t mean listen to scathing uncalled for reviews. I mean honest criticism from your peers.

Do you have any future project that we can look for?
I have several up my sleeve! I have more coming for Pool of Souls and Vegas Mates, as well as three more series that haven’t even released yet.

Now for my fast five:
Angels or Demons?
Demons!
Vampires or werewolves?
Werewolves!
Coffee or Chocolate?
Dark Chocolate! 
Early Morning or Late Night?
Late Night! 
E-book or Paperback?
E-Book!






Chasing Sam
Vegas Mates Book 1

Samantha Demakis doesn’t want a mate right now. Her birth-rite and family obligations to her status as the first daughter of a noble family beg to differ. In fact, even her wolf seems to be against her. When a chance encounter reveals the man who might just be a perfect fit, will she run? Or will she fight?

Chase Michaels has been alone for seventy-five years. He’s fought in Vietnam, the Persian Gulf, and Afghanistan in the US Army. Somewhat resigned to never finding his true mate, he is shocked when his wolf reacts so strongly to a woman he runs into in the airport. Unprepared for the politics and snobbery of the noble families, Chase finds himself fighting in a different type of war —a war for the heart of a woman he knows should be his.

A lot of things are chasing Sam, but who or what will catch her in the end?


The Excerpt...

Hallie pulled her legs up into the chair. Sam noticed her look of discomfort. She had something she wanted to add to the conversation, but didn’t want to rock the boat. Hallie was a twin, but she was a very different personality compared to her identical sister. Tess was loud and proud and in your face happy most of the time; whereas, Hallie was quiet and much more reserved about her state of mind.
“I think you should give the guys a chance, Sam. They came from all over. One is here from Italy, Riccardo Savona. He’s from one of the oldest noble families. Another man, from a California family requested permission from Daddy to meet you. I think Daddy said the third man was from Brazil.”
Sam shook her head. It didn’t matter. She didn’t care. “Hallie, you may be fine with letting Mom and Dad pick out your matched mate, but I want to have a say in it and I don’t want to be matched until after I graduate.”
“Sam,” Nicole broke in, “would you choose to disgrace our family?”
Sam turned and clambered up from the floor onto the couch next to Nicole. She couldn’t believe all her sisters were really okay with having their mate picked out for them. She glanced at Tess, who also seemed to be waiting patiently for her answer to Nicole’s question.
“If I were to mate with a wolf outside of the noble family, would you think me disgraceful? If I merely wanted the chance to … let’s say … add a name to the list for the hunt … would that be so bad? Would it be so terrible to want the match to be someone your wolf desired?” She laid it out there. Why not?


Krystal Shannan is a born, raised, and current TEXAN. She is married to a wonderful man who supports her dream of writing and allows her to spend many evening and weekend hours glued to her laptop. During the day she moonlights as an elementary music teacher. In addition to a doting husband, a young daughter is also part of the picture and keeps her hopping! An ornery little Welsh Corgi completes the household.

Krystal has been writing stories since she could hold a pencil. She has always dreamed of writing romance and sharing the "movies in her head" with the world. If she's not writing, she's reading -historical, paranormal, action, adventure -anything she can get her hands on that ends with a Happily Ever After!

If you are interested in receiving emails when new new books are released, please sign up for her distribution list by visiting www.krystalshannan.com and clicking the "contact" tab. 

Krystal Shannan Love and Destiny in all Realms

Author of 
Open House: Pool of Souls Book 1  Amazon  Smashwords  ARe   Kobo B&N
A Very Russian Christmas   Amazon  ARe  Decadent  Smashwords BookStrand

Finding Hope: Pool of Souls Book 2 - Coming Soon!
Website         Blog            Facebook         Twitter



BUY LINKS FOR CHASING SAM







1 comment: