Friday, March 22, 2013

Team Progeny Spotlight: Faleasha Myers

I, affectionately, call the talent surrounding me Team Progeny. This small group of individuals are just as responsible for the success of my series as the words that I write. As with children, my philosophy is "It takes a village." Today, I am spotlighting Faleasha Myers. Her artwork, until very recently, graced the covers of books one through three of the Progeny series. The thing I love about her work is that she literally takes my words and brings them to life. Her depictions of Ascher and Shauna scream emotions to everyone that views them. She loves my characters and that love shows up in each piece of art she creates. Faleasha is hard at work on fan art for Blood Fury, and I can't wait to see what she comes up with!

From The Progeny
This is the picture that started it all. Faleasha drew this picture with little more than a few excerpts of description from a half-written The Progeny. With those few paragraphs, she created what would be the world's first glimpse at Ascher Rousseau and Shawnette McCutchin. At the time, I didn't know if I'd even finish the manuscript, or if this story would see the light of day. In a lot of ways, this picture inspired me to keep writing. The thing that strikes me most about this picture is the love she conveys with both their eyes closed.














From Blood Bonds
I named this picture Swept Away, because literally Shauna looks like she is being swept off her feet. This picture says intensity and shows both a deepening love between the characters and their loss of innocence. Anyone who has read the first two books will understand the loss of innocence comment. All of Faleasha's depictions of Ascher and Shauna are exquisite, but there is just something about this one that gives me chills every time I see it.















From Blood Bonds
This picture is pretty self-explanatory. Faleasha created the perfect likeness of Ascher and Shauna's big day. This was also the first time we got to see Shauna's eyes open (this just happened to be a huge concern of my husband's, of  all of the things to care about). Again, she read a chapter and managed to fill this picture with unbelievable detail and emotion. I've also had people comment on the fact that they seem to mature from picture to picture. Knowing  that vampires don't age, I usually comment that the unchanging Ascher is just happy that he's found his eternal love.





From Blood Promise
I warned Faleasha while I was writing Blood Bonds that my writing was going someplace darker and more erotic. Some artists don't necessarily want their work associated with erotica, so I gave her the chance to back away from the series if she felt this way. Her reaction was funny, and not at all what I expected. For this picture, I aptly named The Promise is Fulfilled, I challenged her to explore a more sensual side of the couple. This picture was also my first brush with erotica discrimination. I had blogs turn me down for spots because "they don't post erotic material". Blogs, mind you, that were more than happy to feature the first two books. My editor and I got a good chuckle out of this and she said, "Welcome to the world of erotica, kid." Those who have read Blood Promise know that this picture is the embodiment of the lustful nature that their growing relationship takes on. And yes, Ascher looks different. You'll have to read Blood Promise to find out the details.  :)







How it's Made

Faleasha is now posting speedpaints on Youtube for her art. She wasn't doing this when she did the first two pictures (I really wish she had). I'm always awed, and sometimes cry, when I view a speedpaint of her work, because I know I'm blessed to have found her. Oddly enough, her sister (and my bud, Brandi) was the conduit that linked us. We were co-workers long enough to become pals. The rest is pretty much history. I am forever grateful that Brandi happened into my life for that year. As I wrote in Blood Promise, "Nothing in life is coincidence."  :)






Here are Faleasha's links. Drop by, give her pages some love and check out more of her work!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Ms. Laynne...I am honored to be a part of your Team Progeny. I am thrilled to be a part of your new world of handsome vampires and powerful wiccans!!! Thanks so much for this feature!
    -Fe

    ReplyDelete