Thursday, July 11, 2013

Bewitching Book Tours ~ Spotlight on The Chronicles of Darkness by Matthew Head



The Chronicles of Darkness: The Box of Infernos
The Chronicles of Darkness Book One
Matthew Head

Genre:  Supernatural Mystery

ISBN:  978-1-78299-263-9

Number of pages:  204
Word Count:  85,000

Cover Artist: Matthew Head


Book Description:

In the south of England, in the city of Monks-Lantern, events are starting to unfold which have the potential to threaten all of creation. Isaac Jacobs is a young university student with a haunted past who has long been fighting the supernatural monsters of this world and now he fights them alongside his four friends; Gabbi Gurtpasha, Billie Stamford, Laura Henley and Ben Pokeley.

What starts off as a disturbing but relatively low key investigation soon explodes into something much larger, darker and more fearsome than any of them could have imagined. Just what is behind the slow but steady disappearance of people from the city? Who is the much feared Imperator? What is the worst thing you can hope to see beneath a door in an empty building? How do you define a good man from a bad one? And what terror lies within the Box of Infernos?

A plan which has been in motion for millenia is now coming to fruition and Isaac had better be ready as his life will never be the same again from now on.

Something is coming.

Excerpt
Isaac found himself stepping forwards, towards the door. “We need to know for sure.” He edged closer and closer, hearing his heart beating loudly in his chest and hearing too the audible nervous breathing of his friends behind him. He kept on inching forwards, not taking his eyes off of the shoe shapes in the gap underneath. They stayed unmoving. Within moments he was right up against the door so that it almost touched his nose. Nobody spoke, nobody seemed to even dare breathe now. All was silent. Slowly, as though any sudden movement might trigger some kind of alarm, he turned his head to one side and gingerly leant forwards and placed an ear against the cool white surface of the door.
Then he listened. He focused every bit of mental energy had into listening, straining to hear anything from the figure standing just a couple of inches away behind the door. He shut his eyes, blocking out sight in case it interfered with hearing. He listened, listened, listened, staying quiet for what seemed like ages but was probably only a few seconds. Then he heard it. He jumped inside, but he didn’t make any movement physically. He felt his blood chill and goose pimples pop up all over his arms and legs. Three words being whispered so softly and quietly it was impossible to tell who was saying them, but also so intently and purposefully that Isaac knew that whoever they were they meant every syllable.
“Let me in.”

Meet Matthew Head:
My name is Matthew Head and I'm a writer from Surrey. Well, I say from Surrey - I was born in Kent, moved to London for a bit and then moved out to Surrey to live with my partner Andrew. I was born in the eighties, raised in the nineties and then I was inspired in the noughties during my time at university where I studied Theology.

Theology is quite possibly the most fascinating subject in the world. Sounds boring I know, sounds like church and everyone knows that church is boring. But it's not like that at all. It's packed full of myths and monsters, gods and goddesses - mad, bad, sad ones alive in stories which rival many blockbuster movies in terms of how epic they are. It doesn't matter whether it's all real or not - it's the story that counts. Stories are beautiful because absolutely anything is possible within them. That's why I love writing because I love the idea of contributing to that and creating stories. Stories that will make you cry, make you laugh, make you scared. Because I think there is some magic in writing - that simple words have the power to make us feel and react so strongly to them.

When I'm not writing or doing my day job then I really enjoy going out and exploring new places. I love going somewhere I've never been before, especially if there's some history linked to the place. Old places are the best - the older the better. You just get this sense that so much has happened there, so many different people have come and gone and yet the place remains.

A few more random facts about me - my favourite pet is the humble goldfish, my favourite dinner is macaroni cheese, I love banana flavoured things but I strongly dislike bananas and the only real phobia I have is a phobia of frogs. Yeuch.



Twitter: @Chronofdarkness









a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. Hi everyone, I'm the author :)

    Really excited to be on this great blog and looking forward to answering any questions or responding to any comments you might have!

    I hope you've enjoyed the little snippet you've read and that it's whetted your appetites for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read your books.Thanks for the chance to win.

    dragonkeep62(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete