Sunday, November 24, 2013

Breakthrough Authors Blog Hop


The toughest part of writing, for me, is the sense that I’m being pulled in fifty different directions at once. I’m the mother and caregiver of an autistic adult, a wife, a full time employee outside of the home, and a part-time writer. My husband, Mark, is so supportive and has essentially taken on the task of keeping our home in order so that I can follow my dream, while also working a job of his own.

As a gifted youngster, I experienced racism on its most elemental and basic level. This taught me to love everyone and gave me an intolerance for prejudice of any kind. My late mother challenged me to be more than my surroundings, encouraging me to remember my past but never let it dictate who I wanted to be. When I was a teenager, being different got me picked on and made me unpopular. This gave me a thick skin and the attitude that it was better to be myself than to be someone else just to fit in.

I write outside my race, and that comes with its own challenges. Those who support black authors don’t necessarily take me seriously, because my characters aren’t black. I’m accustomed to being different and am too much of a rebel to conform. The drive to write is a pulsing beat in my blood. I have to do it. I’m stubborn—have been since I was very young. The best way to get a reaction out of me is to tell me that I can’t do something that I want—again stubbornness. There is always more than one way to get to a destination. I usually take the path less taken and joy when I succeed.

This being a hop about breaking through as an author, I’ve had some time to reflect. Honestly, I’m still waiting to break through. You may wonder what it will take for me to feel that I’ve arrived. For me, seeing one of my books on the New York Times Bestseller’s List is the ultimate goal. I won’t be satisfied until that happens.

My advice for anyone thinking of becoming an author:
*Write from your heart. That way you’ll never go wrong.
* Surround yourself with supportive and positive people who nurture and feed your spirit.
* Get a thick skin. Realize that everyone won’t love your story.
* Write every day. Writing is a craft that must be honed and exercised to grow.
* Get someone outside of yourself to edit your work. You, as the author, are too close to the characters and story to be objective.
*Have fun! Anything made a task will never be fun for you. 

My Latest
BLOOD REBORN (The Progeny Series #4)      
                                   “Hell hath no fury like a Wiccan reborn.”                                      
                                                                                      
Shauna McCutchin and Ascher Rousseau share a deep and passionate bond that merges their Wiccan and vampire worlds. Destined, they’ve endured trials and suffered unimaginable pain in their quest for a happily ever after.

Endowed with amazing supernatural abilities and the added attributes of her new vampire existence, Shauna is a force to rival all others—a dangerous new breed of vampire that defies conventional wisdom.

Darkness shrouds the couple’s pasts and enemies are determined to ruin their future. Will Shauna surrender to the evil side of her nature, or will she stand by Ascher’s side as the Rousseaus prepare for the revolution?

Shauna will either be an immortal miracle or an unholy menace.


As a part if this hop, each commenter on this blog will have the chance to receive either a PDF or MOBI file of my latest release, Blood Reborn. Simply comment below about a challenge you've overcome in your life journey. Leave your name, email address and prefernce of PDF or MOBI for the book file.


a Rafflecopter giveaway
Breakthrough Authors Blog Hop November 25 - 29 2013
1. 
10. 
2. 
11. 
3. 
12. 
4. 
13. 
5. 
14. 
6. 
15. 
7. 
16. 
8. 
17. 
9. 


1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting! For a while I've been curious if non-white people got crap for writing white characters.

    My most common experience with people complaining about "You're not allowed to write that character," has actually been an age issue. "You can't possibly know what it's like to have a midlife crisis." I've also heard some people use antipathy as an excuse for not being able to write cross-gender. "Men can't write for women because we just don't know what it's like."

    For various reasons, over the years my characters' races have become much more varied. I haven't, as of yet, had anyone tell me I'm not allowed to write non-white characters (Of course, my books are also alternative universes with unique worlds and cultures, so it'd be harder for them to say that I don't know what it's like) but I'm timid of hearing it.

    On a separate and random note, I also appreciate your writer's advice.

    ReplyDelete